Duke's famous Blue Devil mascot made its first appearance in the October 5, 1929, football game against the University of Pittsburgh. The contest was the debut of the new Duke Stadium, now known as Wallace Wade, the first facility to open on West Campus. Recounting the halftime festivities, The Chronicle reported that the marching band took the field "preceded by a genuine Blue Devil who ran halfway across the field to embrace Pitt's panther and do an impressionistic dance with the playful animal." Later, "the Duke Blue Devil routed the Panther with his pitchfork and thereafter was the darling of the rooters." Over the years, the Blue Devil has adapted its look, giving up its form-fitting costume and face paint for more contemporary styles.
Decades of Devils
Selections from University Archives
April 1, 2008